Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Dalglish's job safe - chairman

16 April 2012, 09:47

Liverpool - Liverpool chairman Tom Werner insisted on Thursday that manager Kenny Dalglish's job is safe and backed the Anfield legend to bring the good old days back to the misfiring club.

Werner spoke out just hours after director of football Damien Comolli left, a development which came after a poor run which had seen the team lose five out of six matches, ending their hopes of qualifying for the Champions League.

But with the League Cup safely secured and an FA Cup semi-final date at Wembley with local rivals Everton on Saturday, Werner was quick to assure fans that Dalglish enjoys the "full support" of owners Fenway Sports Group.

"We've got great confidence in Kenny," he told liverpoolfc.tv.

"We feel the team is going to make strides in the future and he enjoys our full support."

Werner also said that the club's transfer strategy was solid and would pay dividends despite question marks over the likes of Andy Carroll (£35 m), Stewart Downing (£20 m) and Jordan Henderson (£16 m).

"We've had a strategy that we have agreed on. There was some disconnect on the implementation of that," said Werner, who confirmed they had made the decision to remove Comolli.

"That strategy is a strong one and it will continue. We need to build a strong system under the first team. We're hard at work identifying transfer targets and we will be better next year.

"Frankly, we make these decisions with a great deal of care because it's our track record in Boston to give people authority and we've had great success with our manager, who was there for eight years, and our general manager, so we prefer stability.

"But when it's time to act, we need to act. We're coming close to the end of the season and the transfer window for the summer, and we felt it was important to make this change expeditiously.

"We feel there is enough talent on the pitch to win and I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football.

"But we're also talking about the future - we have a strategy we need implemented and we felt Damien was probably not the right person to implement that strategy."

Principal owner John Henry's target at the start of the season was to make it back into the top four but Liverpool's recent run of poor results scuppered those chances.

"We've been dissatisfied, as most supporters have been, with the results so far," said Werner, of Liverpool's eighth-placed league position.

"We feel we are a club that needs to be perceived as the strongest club in football and we want to get there."

Earlier, Comolli, who had previously worked at Arsenal, Tottenham and St Etienne, said: "I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to work at Liverpool and am happy to move on from the club and back to France for family reasons.

"I wish the club all the best for the future."

Comolli joined Liverpool as a director of football strategy in November 2010, with his role redefined in March last year.

During that time he oversaw a number of high-profile signings, including the club-record 35million acquisition of Carroll from Newcastle, while he also survived a change of manager when Dalglish returned to the club to replace Roy Hodgson.

"I had a fantastic working and personal relationship with Damien since he came here," said Dalglish.

"It is disappointing but I suppose there is not much in football which comes as a surprise."




WRAP: English Premiership

23 October 2016, 09:33

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...