Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Croatia to appeal against fan ban for Italy qualifier

09 April 2015, 21:31

Zagreb - Croatia will appeal against UEFA's decision ordering them to play their Euro 2016 qualifier at home to Italy behind closed doors in June after crowd trouble last month, the national FA (HNS) president Davor Suker said on Thursday.

"We will appeal to UEFA. We're simply devastated by this decision. This is a huge (financial) loss for us, for our tourism, for promotion of Croatia," Suker said after a meeting of the HNS held outside the capital.

Also read: UEFA orders game to be restarted after ref error

"We have to find the culprits and punish them. We already have footage to identify them. We know what (UEFA's) next moves will be: deduction of points and a ban from major international tournaments," added Suker, Croatia's all time top scorer who was elected to UEFA's executive committee in March.

UEFA's disciplinary panel lost patience with Croatia after racist behaviour and the setting off and throwing of missiles and fireworks by their fans during the Group H match against Norway at Zagreb's Maksimir stadium on March 28.

"For us, the game with Norway was a step forward. Only six firecrackers went off, but it obviously wasn't enough," Suker said.

UEFA, which did not give any further details, also fined the Croatia federation 50,000 euros ($53,925).

The match was played in a partially closed stadium following trouble at Croatia's 1-1 draw with Italy in November. Croatia fans twice interrupted the match at Milan's San Siro stadium by throwing flares on to the pitch.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Kikuyu 2022 vote will go to Peter...

The 2022 Kikuyu vote will go to Peter Kenneth, a Rift Valley Governor has warned DP William Ruto. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD threatens to boycott 2017 po...

The CORD Coalition says that it will be forced to boycott the 2017 elections if there is no new voter register in place by the time. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Disgraced Jeptoo stripped of 2014...

Organizers of the Boston Marathon are stripping Kenyan runner Rita Jeptoo of her 2014 victory as part of the athlete's newly extended doping ban. Read more...