Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Could Bale absence be Clasico blessing for Madrid?

24 October 2014, 09:32

Madrid - The most star-studded game in world football will be missing one of its brightest lights on Saturday as Real Madrid host Barcelona at the Santiago Bernabeu without the injured Gareth Bale.

It took the Welshman the best part of the three goes at the Clasico to make an impact, but he eventually did so in stunning style with an incredible solo run and finish to win Real their 19th Copa del Rey back in April.

Ajax coach Frank de Boer echoed the thoughts of many when he replied "Bale's absence is a shame for football" when asked for his view on the game after his side had been beaten by Barcelona on Tuesday.

However, as Madrid showed in dismantling Liverpool at Anfield 24 hours later without Bale, Sergio Ramos and Dani Carvajal, they have the depth in quality to cope even without world class players.

Moreover, Real boss Carlo Ancelotti will be left with more than just memories of Bale's goal from the Copa del Rey final.

Prior to that meeting in Valencia, the Italian had gone nearly 10 years and seven games against the Catalans with three different clubs without tasting victory.

That night without the injured Cristiano Ronaldo, Ancelotti switched to a 4-4-2 formation from the 4-3-3 he has used for the majority of his time in charge at Madrid thanks to having the luxury of Ronaldo, Bale and Karim Benzema in attack.

Even with the famed "BBC", as they have become known in the Spanish press, Madrid were no match for Barca in their two league meetings last season.

Barca's numerical advantage in midfield allowed them to dictate the tempo and cut the supply line to Madrid's front three.

At the Mestalla, even without World Player of the Year in Ronaldo, the introduction of Isco as an extra midfielder added the balance that Ancelotti craved.

Also read: Stellar Lamela is hot Spur as Tottenham hit five

"If Bale plays or doesn't play it will change their way of playing a little, but not ours," Barca midfielder Andres Iniesta said on Thursday.

"Madrid want to hit us on the counter-attack, whereas we want the ball because that minimises the danger."

However, with four gifted ball players in James Rodriguez, Luka Modric, Toni Kroos and Isco in midfield, Madrid may be able to turn the tables and use possession to minimise the threat of Barca's star South American trio of Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez.

Just like last season it has taken Madrid some time to find the right blend after another busy summer in the transfer market before hitting their stride.

Following their defeat to Barca last October, the European champions embarked upon a 31-game unbeaten run before Barca visited the Bernabeu in March.

Similarly early league defeats to Real Sociedad and Atletico Madrid have left Ancelotti's men with a lot of catching up to do on Luis Enrique's rejuvenated Barcelona this season, but the win at Anfield was their eighth straight in all competitions.

That run has included 35 goals, but crucially Madrid's previously leaky defence has also shored up, conceding just once in their last five games.

"We are in good form and showing how strong we are," said captain Iker Casillas.

"Despite the injuries, those that have come in are doing well. That is how we must continue. We need to win, win and win again."



Pep still 'needs time' to acclimatise

27 October 2016, 12:53

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
William Korir
Kikuyu 2022 vote will go to Peter...

The 2022 Kikuyu vote will go to Peter Kenneth, a Rift Valley Governor has warned DP William Ruto. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD threatens to boycott 2017 po...

The CORD Coalition says that it will be forced to boycott the 2017 elections if there is no new voter register in place by the time. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Disgraced Jeptoo stripped of 2014...

Organizers of the Boston Marathon are stripping Kenyan runner Rita Jeptoo of her 2014 victory as part of the athlete's newly extended doping ban. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM beats Jubilee in 3 by-electio...

ODM dominates Jubilee Party in by elections.

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Kenyan ivory seized in Vietnam

Vietnamese authorities have seized 1 tonne of ivory smuggled from Kenya, the fifth such seizure in the past month. Read more...

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...