Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Chelsea's Rooney bid rejected

17 July 2013, 14:07

London - Manchester United have rejected a bid from English Premier League rivals Chelsea for Wayne Rooney, British media reported on Wednesday.

The Daily Mail, the domestic Press Association news agency and Sky Sports News television said that the league champions had turned down an offer from the west London club, without quoting sources.

Television pictures on Sky Sports News showed Rooney arriving at the club's training ground in northwest England. The channel added that United "immediately rejected" Chelsea's offer.

Reports said the Blues offered £10 million plus either Juan Mata or David Luiz in exchange.

Rooney, 27, has been at the centre of speculation about a possible move away from Old Trafford ever since he made a transfer request just before the departure of former boss Alex Ferguson at the end of last season.

Earlier this month, the Daily Mail claimed that Chelsea had made a £60 million offer for the striker.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho last week stopped short of stating that he hoped to sign the England international, saying only that he liked Rooney "very, very much".

But new United manager David Moyes hit back this week, repeating that Rooney was not for sale.

"It's hard to keep repeating myself but I will do - Wayne's a Manchester United player and will remain that," he said in Bangkok, where United are on a pre-season tour.

Rooney, however, was on Tuesday reported to be "angry and confused" by later comments from Moyes that he would be used as back-up to striker Robin van Persie next season.




Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...