Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Chelsea suspend three fans after racist incident in Paris

20 February 2015, 09:13

London - Chelsea have suspended three people from their Stamford Bridge stadium following an investigation into a racist incident, captured in amateur video footage on the Paris metro, the club said on Thursday.

The video appeared to show fans of the London team chanting "we're racist and that's the way we like it" as they stopped a black man boarding a train on Tuesday.

The incident was captured on video by another passenger on the platform at the Richelieu-Drouot metro station before Chelsea played Paris St Germain in a Champions League match at the Parc des Princes.

"Chelsea Football Club is suspending three people from Stamford Bridge as a result of investigations into the incident on the Paris metro on Tuesday evening," the Premier League club said on their website (www.chelseafc.com).

"If it is deemed there is sufficient evidence of their involvement in the incident the club will issue banning orders for life.

"We have received substantial information to date following our witness appeal and we are grateful to the many Chelsea supporters who have provided information so far," the club added.

Also read: Man in Paris racist attack wants Chelsea fans locked up

"Our investigations are on-going and we would request any further information is sent to customer.services@chelseafc.com.

"We also continue to cooperate fully with the Metropolitan and Paris police forces who lead the ongoing criminal investigation."

Police said no arrests were made in relation to the last 16 first-leg tie that ended in a 1-1 draw.

The video footage, posted on The Guardian newspaper's website (www.theguardian.com), has been widely condemned by soccer authorities including Sepp Blatter, president of governing body FIFA.

- Reuters


WRAP: English Premiership

23 October 2016, 09:33

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...