Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Cesar ready for Confed conquest

28 June 2013, 12:09

Brasilia - After being one of the main fall guys for a disappointing 2010 World Cup, goalkeeper Julio Cesar is back in Brazil's good books for playing a major part in the Selecao's march to the Confederations Cup final.

The oldest player in a squad comparatively lacking experience as coach Luiz Felipe Scolari builds a team to lift the World Cup next year on home soil, the 33-year-old came to this event hot after suffering the indignity of relegation from the English Premier league with Queen's Park Rangers.

That fate was not quite the way the veteran shot-stopper from Duque de Caxias had expected to prepare for his end-of-season World Cup dress rehearsal,

But he has risen to hero status after his penalty save in Wednesday's semifinal win over Uruguay provided the springboard for a gutsy, if slightly fortuitous, victory at the Mineirao stadium in Belo Horizonte.

His stop from Diego Forlan's spotkick drew praise even in the immediate aftermath of what was a crushing blow for Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez, who swallowed his frustration to note that Cesar "has again shown what a great keeper he is".

Julio Cesar's career has had its ups and downs ever since he made his debut for Flamengo 16 seasons ago.

An under-17 world champion in 1997 who made his full debut for Brazil in 2004, winning the Copa America - with a penalty shootout save against Argentina.

And though he generally played second fiddle to Dida, he swiftly came to the attention of Inter Milan, who initially farmed him out to Chievo on loan.

But he was back within months to oust Francesco Toldo as first choice at San Siro and after helping his country win the 2009 Confederations Cup, his club career hit the ultimate high with Inter's victory in the Champions League in 2010.

Yet weeks later he was deemed to be at fault for a Wesley Sneijder goal in a World Cup quarterfinal loss to Holland and after Mano Menezes replaced Dunga at the helm he lost his place.

His exile ended earlier this year after Scolari replaced Menezes and he has re-established himself as No 1 between the posts.

Of his save against Uruguay, Julio Cesar, closing in steadily on the 100 caps mark, said he had simply done his homework and that he knew Forlan would fire his penalty to his left.

"I played with him at Inter Milan - but it was a good stop," he told reporters.

"Luckily, Julio Cesar made a really great stop," added fellow London-based star, Chelsea defender David Luiz, whose tug on Diego Lugano gave away the penalty.

Julio Cesar has managed to throw off his recent travails both with QPR and with Brazil and is now one match away from a third international crown.

But he will hope his real crowning glory will come in 12 months' time as Brazil target what they really want more than anything: A sixth World Cup.

- Sapa/AFP

Join in the conversation on our Facebook page. Also get the latest news by following us on Twitter


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...