Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Carroll loses red card appeal

05 February 2014, 10:17

London- West Ham United striker Andy Carroll will serve a three-game ban after having an appeal against a red card rejected, the Football Association announced on Tuesday.

Carroll, 25, was shown a straight red card during his side's 2-0 win over Swansea City on Saturday after catching Chico Flores in the face with his arm early in the second half of the Premier League game at Upton Park.

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce accused Flores of reacting theatrically and confirmed that the club would appeal against the red card, but the FA upheld referee Howard Webb's decision to send Carroll off.

"West Ham United's Andy Carroll will serve a three-match suspension with immediate effect after his claim of wrongful dismissal was rejected by an Independent Regulatory Commission," read a statement on the FA website.

"As stated in the Rules and Regulations of The FA, an Independent Regulatory Commission must apply the test of whether the decision to dismiss a player was 'an obvious error'.

"The decision of an Independent Regulatory Commission in relation to a claim of wrongful dismissal is final and binding on all parties and is not subject to appeal."

West Ham's record signing, Carroll has played in only four league games this season due to injury and now stands to miss his side's forthcoming matches against Aston Villa, Norwich City and Southampton.

The England striker appeared to express his anger at the decision on Twitter, writing simply: "DISGRACEFUL!!!"



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...