Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Captain urges Southampton not to sell any more players

31 August 2015, 11:06

London - Southampton should not let any players leave before the transfer window closes on Tuesday, the Premier League club's captain Jose Fonte has said.

The Portuguese central defender and his teammates have also urged midfielder Victor Wanyama to stay at St Mary's, the Daily Echo reported.

Kenya international Wanyama has had a transfer request rejected amid interest from Tottenham Hotspur, while the Saints have reportedly rebuffed an approach for forward Sadio Mane from Manchester United.

"The main thing is not letting anyone go," the report quoted Fonte as saying.

"That would be a help to us once the transfer window is closed and hopefully no one will leave, and possibly add a couple more, so we will see."

Southampton have already sold midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin to Manchester United and full-back Nathaniel Clyne to Liverpool this summer.

They have released another four players and have seen goalkeeper Artur Boruc join Bournemouth on a free transfer and 19-year-old forward Sam Gallagher join Championship side MK Dons on loan.

Fonte revealed that he and his teammates had spoken to the 24-year-old Wanyama, who was dropped for Sunday's 3-0 Premier League win over Norwich City.

"We all had conversations with him and try to explain (why he should stay), so now it's up to the club and to him," the 31-year-old Fonte said.

The win against Norwich, Southampton's first of the season, moved them up to 10th in the table on five points. The Saints travel to West Bromwich Albion on Sept. 12, when the league resumes after the international break.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Justice Isaac Lenaola appointed a...

He replaces retired Justice Philip Tunoi.

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...