Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Capello under fire but staying on

18 November 2014, 20:56

Moscow - Fabio Capello has dismissed speculation that he is about to lose his job as manager of Russia amid a run of poor results for his side.

"I don't have any information about that," the Sport Express daily quoted Capello as saying at a news conference ahead of Tuesday's friendly with Hungary in Budapest.

The 68-year-old Capello, reportedly the highest paid coach at this summer's World Cup in Brazil with a salary of around 7 million euros ($8.8m, 5.6m pounds), has been under fire since Russia failed to qualify for the second round of the event despite having a relatively easy group. They returned home without a single win.

The former England manager, who signed a lucrative new contract in January which covers the 2018 World Cup hosted by Russia, received backing from the country's sports top authorities including sports minister Vitaly Mutko.

However, the recent performances of the country's squad in the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign forced Mutko to vent his dissappointment with the state of affairs in the country's national squad.

Also readMessi hints he may one day leave Barcelona

On Saturday Russia went down 1-0 in Austria to increase the pressure on Capello. The defeat came just a month after the Russians were held at home by lowly Moldova to a 1-1 draw.

"The result of this game cannot satisfy us," Mutko told the press after the defeat in Vienna.

"The team loses self-confidence while we lose our position in the FIFA rankings.

"The time has come to solve these problems.....It's organisational, personnel problems. And we will revert to these issues soon."

Capello meanwhile refused to comment on the minister's statements.

"Too many people are currently talking too much about football. Sometimes what they say are too far from the reality."

The question marks surrounding Capello's hold on the job were further highlighted when the top official of the Russian Football Union (RFU) said last week that they could no longer afford to pay Capello's huge salary.

"I am saying with full authority that the Russian Football Union simply does not have the money to pay Capello," Sergei Stepashin, a member of the RFU executive committee, said.

"As far as I know, the contract was signed by Nikolai Tolstykh (the RFU president) and initialled by sports minister Mutko.

"When they signed the contract, they should have thought about the sources of financing. And today we need to look for those sources.

"All in all, it's an extremely unpleasant situation."



WRAP: English Premiership

23 October 2016, 09:33

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...