Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


CECAFA blasts Harambee Stars

04 August 2014, 20:17

Nairobi - CECAFA secretary general Nicholas Musonye has spoken of his disappointment following Kenya's elimination from the 2015 African Cup of Nations qualifiers.

The Harambee Stars were knocked out by Lesotho in the third round, after they were held to a 0-0 draw in the second leg decider at home on Sunday, having lost the first encounter away 1-0.

Musonye criticised the Kenyans' preparations leading up to the match, describing then as "shambolic" and also expressed his disappointment to see Tanzania also knocked out.

"Losing Kenya and Tanzania, key members of CECAFA, is disheartening," the CECAFA chief is quoted as saying by VoiceOfSport.

"Tanzania were up against (Mozambique) formidable regular campaigners in the AFCON while Kenya should have easily gone over Lesotho.

"However, not taking home advantage by both our teams became the doom. The writing is on the wall, in these competition people are serious; you blink and you are in trouble."

He added: "It is a disaster for Kenya to be out of top-flight international football until 2017. But their preparations for Lesotho were shambolic, a total joke and it was no wonder we are out.

"I have confidence in the Rwanda, Sudan and Ethiopia FAs. They are focused and definitely will reap fruits for their labour."

Rwanda and Sudan are both in Group B with powerhouses Bafana Bafana and Nigeria, while Ethiopia will campaign in Group B against Algeria, Mali and Malawi.

- News24


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...