Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


CAR team delays return home

25 March 2013, 18:19

Johannesburg - Members of the Central African Republic's national football squad will delay their return home, the team manager said Monday, after rebels invaded the country's capital while the players were in South Africa for a Soccer World Cup qualifier.

William Kongo said the players would leave South Africa in two groups, but neither would be returning home immediately. He said the Europe-based players would fly to Paris later on Monday, while the domestic players would leave Tuesday for Douala in Cameroon, where they could monitor the situation at home.

Rebel soldiers overthrew President Francois Bozize on Sunday, taking over the presidential palace and forcing the country's leader of a decade to flee the capital, Bangui.

Kongo said players usually transferred through western neighbor Cameroon on their way home, but would stay over in Douala for longer than a couple of days to see if it was safe to go home.

The home-based players still wanted to go home, according to Kongo, and had no reservations about returning. They would probably still go back this week, he said.

"It'll take one to two weeks for everything to be OK," Kongo said by telephone from Cape Town, where the CAR team lost 2-0 to South Africa in its World Cup qualifier on Saturday.

The South African Football Association said it was too early for it to talk to the Confederation of African Football or FIFA about whether to move countries' return qualifier in Central African Republic in June.

Thirteen South African soldiers were killed in the fighting in Central African Republic over the weekend, South Africa president Jacob Zuma said on Monday.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Justice Isaac Lenaola appointed a...

He replaces retired Justice Philip Tunoi.

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...