Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


CAF accused of picking on Moroccan players

13 February 2015, 14:24

Berne - Moroccan players have been unfairly made to pay the price after their country was stripped of the right to host the African Nations Cup, the world players union FIFPro said on Friday.

Morocco was banned from three consecutive Nations Cup tournaments after the Confederation of African Football (CAF) turned down its request to postpone the January-February tournament due to fears over the spread of the Ebola virus.

The competition went ahead in Equatorial Guinea.

FIFPro's Africa division said in a statement that it was "astonished that the penalties imposed by the CAF should be directed above all and directly against the players."

"Denying a nation the possibility of playing in three consecutive African Cup of Nations is to sacrifice an entire generation of players, prevent their playing at the highest international level, and disallow their practising an important part of their occupation as professional footballers," it said.

"It is to put a brake on their development."

Also read: Liverpool don't fear more Palace pain

"Why pick on the players in this way...making them pay, and such a heavy price, for the errors imputed to their executives?"

The Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF) was also fined $1 million and ordered to pay 8 million euros ($9.1 million) in damages to CAF and its partners.

Earlier this week, the FRMF rejected the sanctions, saying that "the decisions taken by the executive committee of CAF are against the development of African football, and not based on any statutory basis."

- Reuters


Reds win at Blues? No way, Jose

21 October 2016, 17:05

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
REVEALED: Why Kalonzo attacked Uh...

There was no holding back for CORD co principal Kalonzo Musyoka as he spoke his mind during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Machakos. But why? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...