Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Busquets dismisses reports of rift with Luis Enrique

14 January 2015, 11:16

Barcelona - Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets has become the latest to insist that all is well at the club, dismissing reports of a rift between Argentina forward Lionel Messi and coach Luis Enrique.

Messi raised eyebrows on Monday when he told a news conference at the FIFA Ballon d'Or awards ceremony that he did not know where he would be next year, fuelling speculation he might seek an exit from his boyhood club that began following reports he had fallen out with Luis Enrique.

Messi later clarified the comments and said he had no intention of leaving, and Busquets told a news conference on Tuesday relations between the players and the coach were generally "good".

"It is a good relationship, of maximum respect, complying with decisions and for me everything is normal," Busquets said.

He noted that Messi had used a phrase typical among soccer players, that nobody can tell what the future will bring, and underlined the four-times World Player of the Year's importance to the club.

"He is in charge of his future but for us it is vital that he is here," Busquets added. "What's more, he said that he did not want to leave."

Messi's apparent dissatisfaction with Luis Enrique's management style and tactics reportedly prompted talks in recent days with Chelsea and Manchester City on a possible move to the English Premier League, while Catalan television claimed Messi had demanded the coach be sacked.

Also read: Don't hog the ball, first coach told Ronaldo

The 27-year-old, who joined Barca's academy when he was 13, denied the reports after Sunday's 3-1 La Liga victory at home to Atletico Madrid, saying they were "lies".

Messi finished second in the Ballon d'Or vote behind Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, who won the award for a third time.

Barca's next match is a King's Cup last 16, second leg at Elche on Thursday when they will be protecting a 5-0 lead from last week's first leg.

They would likely meet Atletico in the quarter-finals after Diego Simeone's men won their first leg at home to holders Real 2-0. Real host Atletico for the return on Thursday.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
WATCH: Kaka Sungura arrested in t...

Was Kaka Sungura arrested in town?

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Confused Jubilee afraid of me, Ki...

The Jubilee Party is afraid of me, Evans Kidero says. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Sonko ready for Peter Kenneth bat...

Nairobi Senator Mike Mbuvi Sonko says that he is ready to take on Peter Kenneth in Nairobi Gubernatorial nominations come 2017. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Uhuru wants change in Constitutio...

The Jubilee Coalition is planning to change the Constitution and add President Uhuru Kenyatta another term, Kalonzo Musyoka claims. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD to stop Jubilee efforts to r...

The CORD Coalition will not allow plans to remove Kenya from the Rome Statutes take place, it has said. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
How long will it take Kenya to le...

Kenya is looking to leave the ICC. But what is the process behind the exit? Read more...