Brazil vows 'vigorous' probe following FIFA scandal
29 May 2015, 12:25
Brasilia - Brazil will investigate with "great vigour" accusations that led to the arrest of seven FIFA officials, including the vice president of the Brazilian Football Confederation, its justice minister said Thursday.
Jose Maria Marin, 83, second in command at the country's football federation, or CBF, was arrested in an early morning raid at a luxury Zurich hotel, following an investigation by the US attorney general's office alleging massive corruption.
Brazilian broadcasting executive Jose Margulies, 75, is also listed on the indictment sheet.
The scandal, which saw the US indict 14 people, including nine football officials, has rocked the world of football.
Brazil said it would not tolerate any misconduct if the accusations are found to be true.
"If there is evidence that federal crimes under Brazilian law were committed, we will act with great rigour," Justice Minister Eduardo Cardozo told reporters.
"It is in Brazil's interest that everything is transparent, and that anyone who was involved in unlawful acts is punished in compliance with the law," he said.
Also read: Hull's Hernandez banned
Cardozo said Brazil's federal police are already reviewing whether any national laws were violated.
The CBF suspended Marin from the organisation within hours of his arrest on Wednesday, and said he would remain out of the organisation indefinitely.
In a statement late Thursday the CBF said it would give its "full support" to any investigation and added it had delivered documents to Brazilian authorities and cooperated with the probe.
Marin became president of CBF in 2012 and remained in the post until his successor took over last month.
The former politician oversaw last year's World Cup in Brazil and is also a member of the organising committee for next year's Rio Olympics.