Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Brazil striker Fred returns to Ukraine after quit threat

24 July 2014, 15:49

Kiev - Brazil striker Fred has returned to Ukrainian champions Shakhtar Donetsk, the club said on Thursday, adding that they also expect his compatriot Ismaily to follow him back shortly.

The two Brazilians were among six South Americans who refused to return to Shakhtar after a Malaysian Airlines plane was shot down by ground-to-air missiles in eastern Ukraine last week, killing all 298 people on board.

Fred and Ismaily, along with fellow Brazilians Douglas Costa, Alex Teixeira and Dentinho, and Argentine striker Facundo Ferreira, refused to travel from France to Ukraine following a friendly against Lyon on Saturday.

"Shakhtar continues to prepare for the start of the Ukrainian league season," the club said in a statement on their website (www.shakhtar.com).

"Fred returned to the team camp. In the coming days, (we) expect Ismaily to join the Pitmen."

Shakhtar CEO Sergei Palkin said on Wednesday they were moving their headquarters to Kiev and would play their Champions League and domestic games in the western city of Lviv to escape from Ukraine's strife-torn east.

Shakhtar opened the new season with a 2-0 win at rivals Dynamo Kiev in a Super Cup game in Lviv on Tuesday.

French sports daily L'Equipe reported on Tuesday that Teixeira and Costa had been "proposed" to French Ligue 1 club AS Monaco by agent Kia Joorabchian.

The club, however, refused to confirm the report.

Costa has also been linked with a move to England following reports that north London rivals Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur were both watching developments.

But Palkin has said the club was still working on persuading the other players who have so far stayed away to return.

"We are in the persuasion phase saying Ukraine is safe enough to play and live in," he said on Wednesday.

"It is our primary task now as many of them are scared. I hope to get this sorted out. If not, we have the other mechanisms to deal with it."

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on 
Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- Reuters


Athlete collapses, dies in Machakos

26 October 2016, 10:15

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
What to do after breakup

Your life does not end after breakup. Here are tips to move on: Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Rare gift for President Uhuru Ken...

Young Jubilee supporters have a rare surprise gift for the President. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Illegal milk nabbed in Mombasa wa...

Milk powder is considered a sensitive commodity under the EAC Common External Tariff (CET) and attracts an import duty at a rate of 60 per cent. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Athlete collapses, dies in Machak...

His coach blamed his untimely death on the supplements the athletes are given. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Popular radio presenter found dea...

Grace Makosewe was working for Capital FM before moving to Urban Radio in Kisumu. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...