Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Blatter rules out resigning before FIFA election

07 October 2015, 13:30

Berlin - Sepp Blatter has made it clear he will not resign as FIFA president and is determined to fight right up until the next election on February 26.

"I will only stop (working) on February 26 and not a day before," Blatter told German magazine Bunte, which is due out on Thursday.

"I will fight until February 26. For me. And for FIFA.

"I am convinced that evil will come into the light and good will triumph."

Having been re-elected as FIFA president in May, Blatter announced in June that he was calling a fresh election for February 2016 because he did not feel he had 'a mandate from the entire world of football'.

In the Bunte interview, Blatter says he does not feel concerned although Swiss prosecutors have opened a criminal investigation against the 79-year-old for mismanagement.

"This is just an investigation. There are no charges. I will comply with the procedure and will co-operate with the authorities," he insisted.

Even though major FIFA sponsors including Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Visa and Budweiser last week called for Blatter's immediate resignation, the Swiss repeated his assertion that he will not bow to pressure.

"Those are just the Americans," he said before insisting other FIFA sponsors, such as German sportswear giants Adidas, South Korean car manufacturers Hyundai and Russian energy giants Gazprom, "still stood behind me".

Blatter sees himself as a decisive cog in the restructuring of FIFA.

"I stand by it, because I am convinced I can initiate the necessary reforms for the benefit of FIFA," he said.

"One needs to let me finally do my job -- and not keep attacking me."

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...