Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Bent hits out at Villa boss

20 August 2013, 15:01

London - Striker Darren Bent has hit out at Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert, in an interview published on Tuesday, over his treatment during his time at Villa Park.

Bent joined Fulham on a season-long loan from Villa last week, after falling out of favour with Lambert at the Midlands club.

Villa paid a club-record fee potentially rising to 24 million ($37.6 million, 28.1 million euros) to sign Bent from Sunderland in January 2011, but he was frozen out after Lambert became coach last year.

With Christian Benteke and Andreas Weimann established as Lambert's first-choice strike partnership, the 29-year-old started just seven league games last season, scoring three goals.

"It was really difficult at Villa. A few of us were kind of alienated to train with the kids," Bent told the Daily Express newspaper.

"There were times when I was thinking, 'Do I really deserve this?' It's all well and good not being part of the squad - but to be treated like we have been is bad.

"It was horrible. It wasn't so much the injuries - although they certainly didn't help - it was just the uncertainty. There were times I was in the squad and times I wasn't, and there was just no explanation why."

Bent has won 13 caps for England, scoring four goals, and he hopes a successful season at Fulham will enable him to break back into the national squad in time for next year's World Cup.

"I'm not just hungry to play football again, I'm absolutely starving," he said. "I've missed out on a couple of major competitions with England, but I just hope this is my year."



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...