Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Australian whistleblower slams FIFA for Garcia rejection

17 December 2014, 09:30

Melbourne - FIFA's rejection of Michael Garcia's appeal over misrepresentations in the statement on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding probe was "predictable" for a governing body littered with self interest, according to the Australian whistleblower referred to in the statement.

FIFA on Tuesday turned down its chief investigator's appeal against Judge Eckert's statement which cleared Russia and Qatar of wrongdoing in their winning bids to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups respectively.

Garcia had said Eckert's statement contained "numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions" detailed in his own report into the bidding process after an 18-month investigation.

FIFA also said there were no grounds for opening disciplinary proceedings against Eckert following complaints from whistleblowers that their evidence had been revealed.

Bonita Mersiades, who worked on the Australian bid team for the 2022 World Cup, said she was one of the unnamed whistleblowers referred to in the statement whose reliability was questioned and evidence dismissed out of hand.

"FIFA is nothing if not predictable, and has today surpassed itself in obfuscation and deflection," she said in a statement on her website (footballtoday.com.au) late on Tuesday.

"FIFA's position underscores why we need a new FIFA.

Also read: Robben landmark as Bayern set new record

"These issues are no longer just about winning bids from Russia and Qatar and losing bids, including Australia.

"It is about FIFA and the bid process that lent itself to abuse. In FIFA's world, there is no room for ordinary fans."

FIFA used legalese in justifying its rejection of Garcia's appeal, saying Eckert's statement did not constitute a decision and was therefore neither legally binding nor appealable.

The other whistleblower referred to in the report, who was also discredited, was American Phaedra Al-Majid, who worked on the Qatar bid team.

FIFA said the whistleblowers' breach of confidentiality claim had "no substance" because they had "gone public" with their own media activities before the statement came out.

FIFA and Qatar World Cup organisers have been fending off allegations of corruption ever since the Gulf state was awarded the 2022 tournament.

Qatar has repeatedly denied the allegations and said it ran a clean bid.

- Reuters


WRAP: English Premiership

21 October 2016, 19:13

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...