Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Arsenal not vulnerable anymore, says Wenger

08 August 2014, 12:19

London - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes that his club have lost the vulnerability that once made their players easy prey for Sunday's Community Shield opponents Manchester City.

Bacary Sagna became the third player to join City from Arsenal in recent seasons when he swapped the Emirates Stadium for the Etihad Stadium in June, but Wenger's side are now operating on something approaching an equal footing in the transfer market.

Having signed Mesut Ozil in a club-record deal a year ago, Arsenal bought Alexis Sanchez from Barcelona in a move reportedly worth around 30 million ($50.5 million, 37.8 million euros) last month, and Wenger feels they can no longer be considered the poor relations among the Premier League's leading sides.

"It looks like we are a bit closer," he told journalists at the Emirates on Thursday.

"We are less vulnerable, that's for sure. Because in the last two years we bought Ozil and Sanchez. Five years ago we would have lost Ozil and Sanchez!"

Wenger saw Sagna's fellow France internationals Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy leave Arsenal for City in 2011, while Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie also made high-profile exits around the same time.

While Wenger admitted that it was painful to see his best players leave, he said that the identity of the buying club made no difference.

"What is tiring is to lose the players. To Manchester City or to somebody else, for me it is the same," he said.

But Wenger did admit that he was disappointed by Sagna's decision to leave the club after seven years in north London.

Asked why the 31-year-old former Auxerre player had elected to seek pastures new, Wenger replied: "You should ask him that question. I made him a proposal to stay for three years, and he chose City.

"Had he chosen that a long time ago? Maybe. Has he made an early decision? Maybe. It looks to me like he has signed (for City) a long time before, or agreed, because he couldn't sign."

 'Jekyll and Hyde'

Wenger rejected suggestions, however, that City had 'bullied' Arsenal into acquiring their best players.

"What you call 'bullying', I don't call that bullying," he said.

"You pay the price. Usually the transfer is an agreement between three parties and for years we were not in a position where we could say 'no'. Like Southampton this season.

"At the end of the day, the players finish at the richest clubs. Man United did that as well for years. But they just had superior financial power. They still have."

Arsenal crashed to a 6-3 defeat at City last season and also fell to heavy losses at Liverpool (5-1) and Chelsea (6-0).

Wenger said that there mitigating factors behind the loss at the Etihad -- such as fatigue after a mid-week trip to Naples in the Champions League -- but he admitted that his side's record against their fellow title contenders was a worry.

Asked if he was shocked by Arsenal's record against the other heavyweights in the Premier League, Wenger replied: "Concerned. Shocked by the number of goals we conceded.

"Because we had Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde defensively. We had 18 clean sheets, but when we didn't have a clean sheet, we really let them score.

"I think it was a loss of confidence. Overall we looked quite sound defensively. We have a good opportunity to improve that."



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...