Ajax fans improving after Milan stabbings
12 December 2013, 19:20
Milan - An Ajax fan remained under close observation in hospital following surgery to stab wounds suffered before the Champions League clash between AC Milan and the Dutch side on Wednesday, said reports.
A total of six people, five of whom were Ajax fans, were taken to hospital prior to Wednesday's match at the San Siro which finished in a scoreless draw and saw Milan advance to the last 16 of the competition.
Four of the five men are "improving", according to a report on domestic news agency ANSA.
The most seriously wounded victim, a 24-year-old Dutchman, remains under observation at Niguarda hospital after undergoing surgery to repair his femoral artery but is said to be "out of danger", according to doctors.
Another Dutchman who suffered multiple stab wounds to the stomach, back and leg and had to have his spleen removed was also improving, at the city's San Carlo hospital.
A third fan of Ajax who had been stabbed in the side of the body was remained at the city's San Paolo hospital but was "out of danger".
A further two Dutch fans were discharged from hospital overnight having been treated for superficial injuries.
A sixth man, a 39-year-old Senegalese street trader, also underwent treatment after being stabbed in the buttocks during scuffles with Ajax fans at the city's Piazza Lotto prior to the game.