Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Adebayor discusses international future

10 November 2011, 16:41

LOME (Reuters) - Emmanuel Adebayor will not make a return to international football on Friday but could be back in the Togo line-up for a World Cup qualifier next Tuesday after more talks between the Tottenham Hotspur striker and soccer federation officials.

Adebayor wants officials to keep promises they made to look after the families of two delegation members who were killed and those injured when the Togo team were attacked in Angola almost two years ago.

Adebayor said he was meeting Togolese federation officials in Accra in neighbouring Ghana and would make a decision in the next days.

"There are a few things we must still discuss but I'll keep it between me and the football association people of my country," he told the BBC, which then reported that Adebayor was seeking assurances of better security for the team and more compensation for those injured and the families of officials killed when the team bus was ambushed before last year's African Nations Cup finals.

Adebayor has not played for his country since the shooting by separatists in January 2010, minutes after Togo had crossed into the disputed Angolan territory of Cabinda on their way to a game. Two delegation members died and goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale was seriously injured.

The Togo federation said Adebayor could join the squad at the weekend, ahead of Tuesday's second leg of the first-round qualifier against Guinea Bissau. The first leg is in Bissau on Friday.

"We are expecting him to join up with the squad when they return on Saturday," a federation spokesman said on Thursday.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...