Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Pacquiao comeback fight vs Vargas is on Nov. 5 in Las Vegas

10 August 2016, 16:38

Manila (AP) — Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao confirmed Wednesday that he will come out of retirement to fight WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas on Nov. 5 in Las Vegas.

The boxer and Philippines senator issued a statement confirming the bout, saying he would conduct his entire training camp in his home country so he can also attend to his legislative work, as he promised during the election campaign.

His adviser, Michael Koncz, said there will be a promotional tour from Sept. 8-10 in Los Angeles, after which Pacquiao and his team will go home so he can attend to his Senate duties.

The 37-year-old Pacquiao said he was excited to return to the ring and said he has to fight again to earn a living.

Before his last fight in April, he said that he would retire. During the campaign for the May 9 election, he assured Filipino voters that he would focus on legislative work if elected to the Senate.

"Yes, the fight is on. I have agreed to a Nov. 5 fight with reigning WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas," Pacquiao said.

"Boxing is my passion. I miss what I'd been doing inside the gym and atop the ring," he added.

Pacquiao, who rose from an impoverished childhood, said boxing is his main source of income. He said he could not rely just on his salary as a public official.

Pacquiao met for two hours with Bob Arum, the head of Top Rank Boxing, on Tuesday night in Manila and they will meet again soon for the contract signing, Koncz said.

Pacquiao's Senate victory is the latest chapter in his stunning rags-to-riches story. He had worked odd jobs before lacing up the gloves at the age of 12. He rose steadily and became a champion in eight boxing divisions, making him one of the world's most celebrated and wealthiest athletes.

He had represented southern Sarangani province in the House of Representatives since May 2010, though he had been criticized for seldom showing up for legislative duties due to his preoccupation with boxing.

- AP


Arsenal can last pace, says Wenger

22 October 2016, 09:37

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...