Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Oscar not welcome at top event

17 April 2013, 08:31

London - South African Paralympian Oscar Pistorius, who is accused of murdering his girlfriend, will not be welcome at the Anniversary Games at London's Olympic Park this year, organisers said on Tuesday.

The three-day event to commemorate the first anniversary of the London Olympics will include a day of Paralympic sport, but UK Athletics chairperson Ed Warner said Pistorius would not be invited to take part.

"I don't want to see the Sunday of the Anniversary Games turning into a media circus," Warner told BBC radio. "It would over-shadow every other athlete that was there.

It's not about innocent or guilty, it's about how you handle an individual with a difficult moral situation hanging over them.

"Anything might change. He is in court before then, but based on what I know at the moment, it would be a no if he rang this morning."

Pistorius, a six-time Paralympic gold-medallist, is currently on police bail after being accused of fatally shooting his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, at his home in Pretoria in February.

The 26-year-old, who claims he mistook Steenkamp for an intruder, is allowed to compete outside South Africa before his case goes to trial.

He was recently photographed at an athletics track in Pretoria, but is yet to return to full training.

British Olympic gold medal-winners Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah and Greg Rutherford will all compete at the Anniversary Games on July 26-28, organisers announced earlier on Tuesday.

"I have amazing memories of competing in the Olympic Stadium last year and it will be good to step out on that track again in front of a British crowd," Ennis said.

"I'll never forget the noise the crowd made when I competed last August and know that the draw of the stadium and the great line-up of athletes will fill the stands and make it another incredible occasion.

"I am training hard and am getting excited about the prospect of getting out there and competing again this summer."



Mikel: I respect Conte's decisions

26 October 2016, 20:51

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Advice from a young married Kenya...

I was just going to get water in the office kitchen and thought a simple hi was fine until I ended up in an hour long conversation with someone. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Helping you find the type of man ...

To put it simply, you can’t go looking for fish in a meat market; you have to go to a fish market. Read more...