Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


London hits back at Olypmics concerns

14 November 2011, 17:32

London -The British government was forced on Monday to defend its security plans for next year's Olympics after a newspaper reported the United States were set to send their own agents to the London Games.

The Guardian said US officials had raised "repeated concerns" about security and were planning to deploy 1 000 of their own security agents, including 500 from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), in London.

The paper added the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) had underestimated the number of security staff it would need at the 32 Games venues, with 21 000 guards now required rather than the initial figure of 10 000.

Both the Home Office, Britain's interior ministry, and the Ministry of Defence are involved in security planning for the Olympics.

A Home Office spokesperson insisted that security planning was "on track" and that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) had "full confidence" in the blueprint.

"Security planning is on track and funding has been protected. The Government is committed to delivering a safe and secure Games that London, the UK and the world can enjoy," the spokesperson said.

"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) undertake detailed inspections of security preparations and have full confidence in our plans. The UK has a strong and close working relationship with the US, who have expressed similar confidence.

"The Government, London 2012 Organising Committee and G4S (a private security firm) are working together to finalise the requirement for venue security and, as is common at major events in the UK, we will make the best and most appropriate use of all available resources."

Meanwhile, London 2012 chiefs said the venues and competition schedule needed to be completed before they could finalise security plans.

"Since winning the bid, a huge amount of collaborative work has been completed," a LOCOG statement said.

"We finalised the competition schedule, with 650 sporting sessions over 18 days, built and selected over 100 competition and non-competition venues, and designed the transport and accommodation plans.

"This all needed to be in place before the detailed security plans could be confirmed.

"Over the last year LOCOG has been working in close collaboration with government and the security agencies, whose role it is to determine all risk and mitigation aspects of security for the Games."


Join in the conversation on News24 Kenya’s Facebook page

Get the latest news by following us on Twitter


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Kikuyu 2022 vote will go to Peter...

The 2022 Kikuyu vote will go to Peter Kenneth, a Rift Valley Governor has warned DP William Ruto. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD threatens to boycott 2017 po...

The CORD Coalition says that it will be forced to boycott the 2017 elections if there is no new voter register in place by the time. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Disgraced Jeptoo stripped of 2014...

Organizers of the Boston Marathon are stripping Kenyan runner Rita Jeptoo of her 2014 victory as part of the athlete's newly extended doping ban. Read more...