Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Lance sued for $12m bonus

08 February 2013, 11:37

Washington - A US insurance firm on Thursday filed a lawsuit against disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong seeking restitution of $12 million in bonus money paid to the American for his Tour de France triumphs.

The Texas-based company, SCA Promotions, wants confessed dope cheat Armstrong to repay money the firm insured from his Tour victories in 2002, 2003 and 2004, after he was stripped of his record seven Tour titles last year.

"It is time now for Mr Armstrong to face the consequences of his actions," the complaint said. "This includes returning all of the funds paid to him by SCA, which totals more than $12 million."

"Mr. Armstrong has no legal right to retain any prize money paid to him by SCA because he is not the official winner of any Tour de France titles," it said.

The filing in a Texas state court not only could cost Armstrong financially but could force him to testify under oath about the doping scandal that ruined his cancer-comeback story and tainted his Livestrong Foundation charity work.

Armstrong was also banned for life when the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) found overwhelming evidence that he was at the heart of a sophisticated doping scheme when his US Postal Service team dominated the Tour de France.

"Lance Armstrong perpetuated what may well be the most outrageous, cold-hearted and elaborate lie in the history of sports," the lawsuit said.

After years of denials, Armstrong confessed last month that he had taken performance-enhancing drugs in sweeping Tour titles from 1999-2005.

Armstrong sued SCA and won after the company delayed his 2005 bonus payment because of reports in Europe that the American had used performance-enhancing drugs.

"We think there are several avenues for us to seek recovery on this," SCA attorney Jeff Dorough said.

"Armstrong and his lawyers said flat-out at that time that if he was ever stripped of the titles, they would pay the money back," Dorough said. "We're just seeking to hold them to their promises."

Armstrong attorney Mark Fabiani cited details of a 2006 settlement agreement between SCA and Armstrong in saying that the firm had no recourse to reclaim the bonus money.

"We are going to let the settlement agreement speak for itself. It is very clear on this point," Fabiani said. "The language of the agreement clearly bars SCA from wriggling out of the agreement."

The settlement, in which SCA agrees to pay Armstrong $7.5 million, says in part that "no party may challenge, appeal or attempt to set aside the arbitration award."

Armstrong also faces a lawsuit from former US Postal team-mate Floyd Landis, who was stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title for doping but says Armstrong violated terms of a sponsorship deal with US Postal by using banned drugs.

ABC News has reported that federal agents are investigating Armstrong for crimes including obstruction of justice, as well as witness tampering and intimidation.

Asked if the US Postal Service was looking into Armstrong, USPS spokesperson Patricia Licata had no comment.

On Wednesday, USADA chief Travis Tygart extended a deadline that gives Armstrong until February 20 to cooperate with anti-doping authorities by testifying under oath about his activities to have any hope of seeing his ban reduced so he could compete in sanctioned cycling and triathlon events.

"We have been in communication with Armstrong and his representatives and we understand that he does want to be part of the solution and assist in the effort to clean up the sport of cycling," Tygart said in a statement.

"We have agreed to his request for an additional two weeks to work on details to hopefully allow for this to happen."



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...