Kenya pull out of volley ball championships
19 August 2014, 19:00
Nairobi - The Kenya men’s and women’s volleyball teams have withdrawn
from the under-23 African Nations Championships due to a lack of funding.
Martin Makokha, Kenya Volleyball Federation (KVF) vice
chairman, told the Star that the Federation could not afford to participate in
“Both teams will not take part in the event due to lack of
finance,” he said.
“We had entered the women’s under-23 team but after
facilitating the senior women’s team to the World Grand Prix we realised we
could not fund the under-23 team.
“We couldn’t enter the men’s squad on similar grounds.”
The men’s and women’s under-23 African Nations Championships
will take place in Egypt from November 4-14 and Algeria from September 5-15
The Championships will serve as the qualifiers for the 2015
FIVB under-23 World Championships, with the tournament winners and runners-up
Kenya took part in the inaugural under-23 World
Championships, which were held in Mexico, last year after being selected to as
a wildcard team.