Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


I don't like Orton - attacker

01 August 2013, 12:38

Related Stories

Cape Town - The fan who attacked WWE star Randy Orton during an event at GrandWest Arena on Tuesday night says he just doesn't like the wrestler.

A fan in attendance took a video of the incident and uploaded it on YouTube. It shows Orton standing on the turn buckle, facing the crowd, when a man walks into the ring and strikes Orton from behind.

The ENCA website identified the fan as Tsepho Sekhabi, a 20-year-old man from Johannesburg who said he had quit his job as an administrative clerk to catch the WWE's two nights in Cape Town.

He admitted to planning the "hit" for a while.

“I just don’t like Randy Orton. This was an opportunity for me so I got up there and made a name for myself,” he said.

While the WWE website reported that the extent of Orton’s injuries was unknown, Sekhabi did not escape unscathed.

He was reportedly bruised on his left cheek after he was caught by one of Orton’s kicks.

While it may be hard to determine if the event was staged or not, the WWE issued a statement suggesting the incident was not part of the planned events.

Police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk confirmed that the fan would be arrested and charged. Van Wyk said the attacker had scaled the stage barrier and managed to slip past security before delivering the punch.

GrandWest’s general manager, Mervyn Naidoo, told the Cape Argus that Sekhabi had been banned from the entertainment facility for five years.

Naidoo said the WWE had indicated it was speaking to police to lay charges against the man.

“Orton will be prepared to return to South Africa to attend the court case.”

GrandWest will work with the police by making surveillance footage of the incident available.

- Sport24


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Dating that one person that socie...

Works at a massage parlour. Works at Millionaires Club (that one on Baricho road) - you know the ones I am talking about. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Ruto urges African leaders to shu...

DP William Ruto has called on African nations to shun help from western forces, saying that they can solve their own problems. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Don't be corrupt like your elders...

Shun corruption at all costs, President Uhuru Kenyatta urges Kenyan youth. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Senators order PS to resign over ...

The Senate Health Committee has told Health PS Nicholas Muraguri to resign over the unaccounted for KES 5 billion. Read more...