Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


F1 now in US

09 December 2011, 10:36

England - Formula 1 will race in the US in 2012  now that the organisers of a GP in Texas have reached a deal with commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

Red McCombs, a founder of the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, said: "Mr Ecclestone received his cheque today."

Ecclestone confirmed: "Yes, there will be a race there. We hope it will be for 10 years."

The US race and the Bahrain GP looked uncertain ahead of a meeting of F1's governing body in New Delhi but both were given a green light. The International Automobile Federations said: "The 2012 F1 World championship calendar was confirmed as previously published."

Construction of the 5.5km Texas track, the first purpose-built F1 facility in the US, was halted amid wrangling over fees due to Ecclestone, who handed the race's organisers a contract ultimatum. Track officials in Austin said building would resume immediately for the November 18, 2012 race.

Bobby Epstein, a founding partner, said: "Our investors have believed all along that this project has tremendous benefit for our region as a strong economic engine for the future. We're glad Tavo Hellmund's (the original promoter who has now stepped aside) vision of bringing F1 to the people of Texas will become a reality.

"Ecclestone is a masterful negotiator. He fights hard for his company's best interests."


Sources at the World Motor Sport Council meeting said calendar changes, published at the end of August. 2011 with only countries rather than specific venues mentioned, were not discussed.

Ecclestone doubted the US race would happen when asked by Reuters at the 2011 season-ending Brazilian GP. He said then: "They're not complying with the terms and conditions of the contract and, as we make the contract, we will award the event or not award the event."

The race will be the first in the US for F1 since Indianapolis in 2007. Another US GP is scheduled for New Jersey on a street circuit against a backdrop of New York's Manhattan skyline, in 2013.

That Texan circuit's president, Steve Sexton, said: "We have a substantial number of fans who have expressed interest in buying tickets and hospitality, so today is a win for all of them as much as it is for Circuit of The Americas."

Bahrain's April 22 slot had been called into question by some in F1 because of civil unrest that continues to trouble the Gulf kingdom, although Ecclestone has consistently said it will go ahead. The race was only removed from the 2011 calendar when events on the ground forced organisers to admit defeat.

A bomb placed under a vehicle exploded near the British embassy in Bahrain's capital Manama. There were no casualties.

- Reuters

Join in the conversation on News24 Kenya’s Facebook page.

Get the latest news by following us on Twitter

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...