Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


England's Anderson out of fourth Ashes Test

31 July 2015, 16:43

Birmingham - England paceman James Anderson has been ruled out of the remainder of the third Ashes Test against Australia at Edgbaston and next week's fourth Test at Trent Bridge, the England and Wales Cricket Board announced Friday.

Anderson, England's all-time leading Test wicket-taker, left the field three balls into his ninth over in Australia's second innings at Edgbaston on Thursday -- his 33rd birthday.

An ECB statement confirmed he had suffered a side strain.

"England bowler James Anderson has been ruled out of remainder of the current Investec Ashes Test with a side strain," the statement said.

"Anderson will be unavailable for the fourth Test beginning on Thursday 6 August at Trent Bridge and his availability for the final Test in the series (at The Oval on August 20) will be determined in due course."

Anderson, whose 413 Test wickets are an England record, took an Ashes-best six for 47 as Australia were skittled out for just 136 in the first innings at Edgbaston.

Recalled fast bowler Steven Finn then took five for 45 on Thursday as Australia slumped to 168 for seven in their second innings, a lead of just 23 runs with three wickets standing.

But Anderson's injury could hamper England's bid to go 2-1 up in the five-match Ashes series on Friday as bowling substitutes are not allowed under cricket's rules or Laws, although a replacement fielder is permitted.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...