Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Twitter bomb threat to British women writers

01 August 2013, 17:09

London – British police were on Thursday investigating a bomb threat made on Twitter to several women including three prominent journalists, amid a growing outcry over abusive tweets.

The message from anonymous user @98JU98U989, now suspended, said: "A bomb has been placed outside your home. It will go off at exactly 22:47 on a timer and trigger destroying everything."

Hadley Freeman, a columnist with the Guardian newspaper, Grace Dent of the Independent and Catherine Mayer, Europe editor of the US-based Time magazine, all said on Twitter they had received the message on Wednesday evening.

Freeman had written a column a day earlier headlined "How to use the internet without being a total loser", responding to a series of violent and sexually explicit messages aimed at women on the social network.

High-profile women in Britain have long complained of online harassment, but the issue reached front pages last week when feminist campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez met with a barrage of abuse after successfully lobbying for novelist Jane Austen to appear on a banknote.

"We can confirm that the Metropolitan Police service has received allegations relating to bomb threats sent to a number of females on Twitter," a spokesperson for the London force said on Thursday.

"Inquiries continue. There have been no arrests and no bombs actually went off."

Freeman said police had advised her not to stay at home overnight.

"If it's illegal to threaten to bomb an airport, it's illegal to threaten to bomb me," she added on Twitter.

Sara Lang, a social media manager at US campaign group AARP, tweeted that she had also received the bomb threat and had contacted US police.

More than 100 000 people have signed an online petition asking Twitter to improve its procedures against abusive messages since the spate of threats spread from Criado-Perez to two female lawmakers.

Twitter is rolling out a "report abuse" button on individual tweets, but campaigners say the form to which it leads is too long and complicated for those facing a barrage of threats.

Two British men were arrested after Criado-Perez and the lawmakers reported menacing tweets to police - a 21-year-old from Manchester in central England and a 25-year-old from Northumbria in the northeast.

Both were questioned on suspicion of malicious communications, and have been released on bail.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...