Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Singapore defends new internet rules

09 July 2013, 16:23

Bangkok – Singapore has defended its controversial licensing regime for news websites, following criticism from internet giants including Facebook and Google.

Internet freedom will not be stifled by the new regulations, Communications and Information Minister Yaacob Ibrahim told Parliament on Monday.

He was speaking after the Asia Internet Coalition (AIC) - an industry association formed by eBay, Facebook, Google, Salesforce and Yahoo! - wrote to him expressing concern about rules introduced last month that currently affect 10 websites, including Yahoo! Singapore.

They require sites that report regularly on Singapore and have "significant reach" among local readers to apply for annual licences. They must also post a bond of $39 000 and remove any content the government deems objectionable within 24 hours.

The AIC said the new regulatory framework "could unintentionally hamper Singapore's ability to continue to drive innovation, develop key industries in the technology space and attract investment in this key sector".

But Yaacob defended the new rules in Parliament, saying they would not stifle internet freedom or stop websites commenting on government policies, Channel News Asia reported.

"It is because of the responsibility news providers have to our society that we have adopted an individual licensing framework for traditional news platforms. And this is also the reason for extending a similar framework to online news sites, for greater consistency," it quoted him as saying.

The new regulations sparked a backlash when they were announced, including a rare protest in the tightly controlled city-state in June that attracted around 2 000 people, led by prominent bloggers and activists.

More than 150 local websites also blacked out their content for 24 hours in protest.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...