Music rules top YouTube videos of 2013
12 December 2013, 09:01
Nairobi - Music has dominated the video views on YouTube as Google released the top trending videos of 2013.
According to YouTube owner Google, three out of the top four top trending videos for 2013 were music videos, with The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?) racking up an impressive 276 137 539 views by Wednesday.
Harlem Shake came in second with 95 218 943 views, followed by a video entitled How Animals Eat Their Food at 88 781 459.
As evidence that views on YouTube closely follow pop culture trends, Miley Cyrus appeared in both the trending video as well as music video lists.
However, despite Cyrus racking up 397 597 766 views for Wrecking Ball and 305 046 472 for We Can't Stop, her videos fell short of PSY's Gentleman M/V in first place on the music video list with 598 953 092 views.
YouTube offered this video as a compilation of the top videos of 2013
Google has incorporated more advertising into the globally popular video platform as the internet giant moves to encourage more professional videos on the site.
US-based Google has also engaged with content producers to ensure that YouTube channels can begin to compete with TV.
According to Google, more than six billion hours of YouTube are watched each month, a 50% increase from 2012.
Advertisers typically place YouTube ads on videos that play for a minimum of five seconds before a user can choose to skip them, as well as banner ads that play on videos.
For South Africans though, the lack of reliable high speed broadband remains a stumbling block to consumption of rich media such as YouTube.
The Draft National Broadband Policy highlights Telkom's role in the broadband landscape.
"ADSL connectivity is only provided by the former incumbent, Telkom, with only 800 000 subscribers. Although a large number of internet service providers can provide internet services over ADSL, their ability to differentiate their offerings and service levels is limited by that fact that there are only three points of interconnect on the Telkom network, which effectively makes them entirely dependent on Telkom for domestic networking," the policy says.
Here are the top videos on YouTube for 2013:
Top Trending Videos for 2013
1. Ylvis - The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?) by tvnorge
2. Harlem Shake (original army edition) by kennethaakonsen
3. How Animals Eat Their Food MisterEpicMann by MisterEpicMann
4. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (Chatroulette Version) by SteveKardynal
5. baby&me / the new evian film by EvianBabies
6. Volvo Trucks - The Epic Split feat Van Damme by VolvoTrucks
7. YOLO (feat Adam Levine & Kendrick Lamar) by thelonelyisland
8. Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise by CarrieNYC
9. THE NFL : A Bad Lip Reading by BadLipReading
10. Mozart vs Skrillex Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2 by ERB
Top Music Videos for 2013
1. PSY - Gentleman M/V by officialpsy
2. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball by MileyCyrusVEVO
3. Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop by MileyCyrusVEVO
4. Katy Perry - Roar (Official) by KatyPerryVEVO
5. P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason ft Nate Ruess by PinkVEVO
6. Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines ft TI, Pharrell by RobinThickeVEVO
7. Rihanna - Stay ft Mikky Ekko by RihannaVEVO
8. Naughty Boy - La La La ft Sam Smith by NaughtyBoyVEVO
9. Selena Gomez - Come & Get It by SelenaGomezVEVO
10. Avicii - Wake Me Up (Official Video) by AviciiOfficialVEVO
- Follow Duncan on Twitter