Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Internet scammers targeting Australians seeking love

16 June 2014, 11:38

Sydney - International fraudsters are increasingly targeting those seeking love, taking over 25 million Australian dollars ($23.5m) from Australian victims last year, figures released on Monday showed.

Dating and romance-related fraud rose 8% in 2013 compared to the previous year, according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) in its annual report on scams and frauds.

The average loss by the lovelorn to scammers promising love was 19,000 US dollars, more than three times higher than other types of scams.

The ACCC said 43% of people who reported being approached by a fake admirer said they lost money. Dating and romance scams also caused emotional harm to victims as the fraudsters invested time and effort getting to know their victims, said ACCC deputy chairman Delia Rickard.

 "They're very good at tapping into people's emotions," Rickard said. "They will spend weeks, months, even years building a trust relationship and then start asking for money."

One woman spent years talking on the internet to a man she believed was an American serviceman in Afghanistan.

When he claimed his daughter needed money for an urgent operation she sent tens of thousands of US dollars before she became suspicious and stopped.

 She never heard from him again. The ACCC said almost 4 000 scammers were identified as people based overseas, but in most cases the location of the fraudster could not be traced. More than 90 000 Australians reported scams to the ACCC last year, up by 7 000 from the previous year.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...