Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Hackers hit up to 25 000 US workers

25 August 2014, 11:39

Washington - The internal records of as many as 25 000 Homeland Security Department employees were exposed during a recent computer break-in at a federal contractor that handles security clearances, an agency official said.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss details of an incident that is under active federal criminal investigation, said the number of victims could be greater.

The department was informing employees whose files were exposed in the hacking against contractor Usis and warning them to monitor their financial accounts.

Earlier this month, Usis acknowledged the break-in, saying its internal cyber security team had detected what appeared to be an intrusion with "all the markings of a state-sponsored attack".

Neither Usis nor government officials have speculated on the identity of the foreign government. A Usis spokesperson reached on Friday declined to comment on the DHS notifications.

Congressional criticism

Usis, once known as US Investigations Services, has been under criticism in Congress in recent months for its performance in conducting background checks on National Security Agency systems analyst Edward Snowden and on Aaron Alexis, a military contractor employee who killed 12 people during shootings at the Navy Yard in Washington in September 2013.

Private contractors perform background checks on more than two-thirds of the 4.9 million government workers with security clearances, and Usis handles nearly half of that number.

Many of those investigations are performed under contracts with the Office of Personnel Management, and the Homeland Security and Defence departments.

It's not immediately clear when the hacking took place, but DHS notified all its employees internally on 6 August.

At that point, DHS issued "stop-work orders" preventing further information flows to Usis until the agency was confident the company could safeguard its records. At the same time, OPM temporarily halted all Usis background check fieldwork "out of an abundance of caution", spokesperson Jackie Koszczuk said.

Officials would not say whether workers from other government agencies were at risk. DHS will provide workers affected by the intrusion with credit monitoring. The risk to as many as 25 000 DHS workers was first reported on Friday.

A cyber security expert, Rick Dakin, said the possibility that other federal departments could be affected depends on whether the DHS records were "segmented", or walled off, from other federal agencies' files inside Usis.

"The big question is what degree of segmentation was already in place so that other agencies weren't equally compromised," said Dakin, chief executive of Coalfire, a major IT audit and compliance firm.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...