Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Google not expected to check every upload

01 March 2013, 13:43

Milan - Internet platforms like Google cannot be forced to filter every video uploaded by users without endangering freedom of thought and their own functionality, an Italian court ruling made public on Wednesday said.

The details of the ruling were made public 60 days after the Milan court acquitted three Google executives of charges of having violated the privacy of an Italian boy with autism by allowing a video, showing him being bullied, to be posted on the site in 2006.

The decision in December overturned a previous court ruling in 2010 which had sentenced the executives to a six-month suspended jail sentence, reigniting a debate about privacy over the internet.

"The possibility must be ruled out that a service provider, which offers active hosting can carry out effective, pre-emptive checks of the entire content uploaded by its users," the court said in the public ruling reviewed by Reuters.

"An obligation for the internet company to prevent the defamatory event would impose on the same company a pre-emptive filter on all the data uploaded on the network, which would alter its own functionality."

The case arose in 2006 when four students at a Turin school uploaded a mobile phone clip to Google Video showing them bullying the boy.

The prosecutors accused Google of negligence, saying the video remained online for two months even though some Web users had already posted comments asking for it to be taken down.

Google said it had removed the video immediately after being notified and co-operated with Italian authorities to help identify the bullies and bring them to justice.

Google has always maintained that, as hosting platforms that do not create their own content, Google Video, YouTube and Facebook cannot be held responsible for content that others upload.

- Reuters

NEXT ON NEWS24 KENYAX

Vodafone to buy Hellas Online stake

23 August 2014, 08:34

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jonsey
Governors want to control agricul...

The crops levies and charges should be collected by counties so that they can be utilized for improvement of agriculture at the county level. Read more...

Submitted by
KISIKA SAMUEL
All public primary schools to hav...

The Rural Electrification Authority has assured that all the 22 782 public primary schools in the country will have electricity either by solar power or grid energy by July 2015. Read more...

Submitted by
Jonsey
Waiganjo's case postponed due to ...

A fraud case facing the fake cop Joshua Karianjahi Waiganjo in the law courts has been postponed to next month. Read more...

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
Man, 27, drowns daughter after qu...

Residents of Muramia village, Nambale sub-county of Busia County woke up to a rude shock when they found the decomposing body of a two-year-old girl in a nearby river who was allegedly killed by her father following a domestic squabble. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Lusaka unwilling to state referen...

Bungoma Governor Ken Lusaka is unsure of where he stands on the planned referendum by Governors. Read more...

Submitted by
Jonsey
Danish Govt pledges more aid for ...

The Danish Government will continue funding programs in Kenya's health sector as long as such funds are seen to benefit patients directly, the Danish Minister for International Trade and Development Co-operation Mogens Jensen has said. Read more...