Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Blow for Samsung

05 August 2013, 12:12

New York - The White House stepped into a patent war between Apple and Samsung on Saturday by overturning a decision that banned the sale of certain iPads and iPhones in the United States.

US Trade Representative Michael Froman announced the rare move - a blow to South Korean Samsung - saying in a letter he had decided to "disapprove" the exclusion order by the US International Trade Commission.

It is the first time since 1987 that a US administration had vetoed a product ban ordered by the trade panel and comes amid a bitter legal battle between California-based Apple and South Korean competitor Samsung.

On 4 June, the commission said it issued a "limited exclusion order" for certain devices made by Apple, in a victory for Samsung after a huge loss in a court fight with its US rival last year.

The ban covers older devices that are no longer actively sold in the US market - the AT&T iPhone 4 and iPhone 3 and 3GS, as well as the iPad 3G and iPad 2 3G, also sold by AT&T.

"I have decided to disapprove the USITC's determination to issue an exclusion order and cease and desist order in this investigation," Froman wrote in the letter, addressed to USITC chairperson Irving Williamson.

"This decision is based on my review of the various policy considerations discussed above as they relate to the effect on competitive conditions in the US economy and the effect on US consumers."

Apple welcomed the move while Samsung slammed it.

"We applaud the administration for standing up for innovation in this landmark case," said Apple spokesperson Kristin Huguet.

"Samsung was wrong to abuse the patent system in this way."

Samsung, the world's largest technology firm by revenue, countered by saying it was "disappointed."

"The ITC's decision correctly recognised that Samsung has been negotiating in good faith and that Apple remains unwilling to take a license," it said in a statement.

The case was filed in August 2011 amid a flurry of litigation between the two rivals over patents in the hot market for tablets and smartphones.

Surveys out late last month showed that Apple's iPhone has been squeezed by competition from Samsung and other Asian manufacturers.

Apple's share of the global smartphone market fell to 13.1% in the April-June period, according to research firm IDC. A separate report by Strategy Analytics gave Apple 13.6%, but noted that it was the US firm's lowest share since 2010.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...