CORD targets 5,000 while Jubilee targets 300 for banned Uhuru Park rallies
31 May 2016, 08:10
Nairobi - The government has said that no political or religious event will be allowed to take place at Uhuru Park on Wednesday.
The venue has been at the centre of contention after two groups claimed to have booked it for Madaraka Day rallies.
CORD leaders claimed they had booked it to "celebrate civil liberties and freedoms and reaffirm the quest for Constitutionalism in Kenya."
Over the weekend, a religious organization, Prayers Beyond Boundaries came forward claiming to have booked the venue for interdenominational prayers between May 31 and June 3.
Read Also: CORD, Jubilee MPs meet to resolve IEBC stand-off
However, Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero said his county government had already licensed CORD to use the venue, stroking controversy.
On Monday, Standard reports that police spokesman Eric Kiraithe declared the venue out of bounds over security concerns.
Jubilee MPs have however said that the prayer rally will go on as scheduled, The Star reports, and vowed to mobilize over 100 MPs to attend the event.
CORD on the other hand have remained unbowed and pledged to mobilize over 5,000 supporters to attend the rally.