Kidero, Shebesh face charges after failing to reconcile
13 January 2014, 12:00
Nairobi - Nairobi governor, Evans Kidero, and Women Representative, Rachael Shebesh will be charged in court after failing to reach an out-of-court agreement over the 'slap' saga.
High Court Judge, Justice Isaac Lenaola had given the two a period of seven days to settle the matter out of court or else be charged with assault and disturbance of peace respectively.
Lawyers of the two parties said efforts to reconcile the two had failed, when they appeared in court on Monday.
Last week, Shebesh ruled out the possibility of settling her assault case against Kidero out-of-court, saying she was ready to press on with the charges.
According to Shebesh’s lawyer, Cecil Miller, his client was willing to face the preferred charges against her.
On his part, lawyer Tom Ojienda, representing Kidero, said Shebesh was not willing to solve the matter out of court as they had been directed.
It is alleged that Kidero slapped Shebesh on September 6, 2013, when she joined Nairobi City Council workers who were striking in storming Kidero’s office at City Hall.
Kidero later apologized to Shebesh following the incident.