Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji opts out of Uhuru’s ICC case

31 January 2014, 09:23

The Hague - The International Criminal Court (ICC) Judge, Chile Eboe-Osuji has been replaced by Judge Geoffrey A. Henderson on the bench that will hear President Uhuru Kenyatta’s case.

A statement from the ICC said the court’s Presidency reached on the decision to reconstitute the bench following Osuji’s request, The Standard reports.

Handerson, who hails from Trinidad and Tobago, was elected as an ICC judge in 2013. His term of service at the court will end on 10 March, 2021.

The bench now consists of Judge Kuniko Ozaki, Judge Robert Fremr and Judge Geoffrey Handerson.

On Thursday last week, the ICC scrapped the start date for the trial of President Kenyatta saying it will instead hold a hearing on 5, February, the day President Kenyatta's trial was to have started, into prosecutors' request for a three-month adjournment in the case, and a request by the President to have the case thrown out altogether.

Prosecutors asked for a delay in the case in December, 2013 after one witness pulled out and another admitted giving false evidence.

At the time, ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said she needed time to reconsider her case.

In a decision issued Thursday last week, judges revealed that President Kenyatta's defense team filed a confidential request on 13, January for the court to "terminate the proceedings ... on the grounds of insufficiency of evidence."

No further details of the defense request were available. Judges ordered his lawyers to file a public version by 28 January. His defense team last year also asked for the case to be thrown out.

- For more visit The Standard


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...