CORD cancels Kisii, Nakuru rallies
19 June 2014, 16:03
Nairobi - The Coalition for Reform and Democracy CORD has called off the weekend rallies set to be held in Kisii and Nakuru to mourn victims of the Mpeketoni massacre.
CORD leader Raila Odinga confirmed the move Thursday in Kisii where he had gone to campaign for ODM candidate John Oyioka in the upcoming Bonchari by elections.
He said that it was vital that the party and Kenyans at large rally their support behind the victims of the Mpeketoni attack which has so far claimed the lives of over 60 people.
" After wide consultation within the coalition it has been decided that the rallies here in Kisii and in Nakuru be cancelled, he said.
" We are Kenyans and it would be nice to ensure that we mourn the victims of the attacks in Mpeketoni, he added.
He affirmed his and the coalition's commitment to ensuring the country is a safe haven for Kenyans of all walks of life.
" We want peaceful co-existence in the nation but that does not mean that we brush off what is going on at the moment. We have to have a say, he added.
He also insisted that the coalition is still waiting on the government over its request for dialogue, calling on the president to heed their calls.
" We have asked for dialogue. We will ask again. It is for the good of the nation.
It is not yet clear whether the planned Saba Saba day rallies will continue as planned, with the CORD leader failing to speak his mind on the rally which has already been castigated by government, the Jubilee coalition as well as religious leaders.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!