CORD, Jubilee haggle over Saba Saba Uhuru Park rights
03 July 2014, 13:02
Nairobi - Both the CORD and Jubilee coalitions have laid claim over the Uhuru Park grounds ahead of July 7, Saba Saba day.
CORD had for long claimed use of the grounds for their planned rally at the venue but the Jubilee coalition had thrown a spanner in the works by also claiming the venue.
Activist Moses Kuria and former Embakasi MP Ferdinand Waititu had been seen inspecting the venue ahead of their own planned peace rally on the same day.
CORD though have reacted to the claims with Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero providing a letter stating that CORD have already booked the venue.
" CORD has already booked the venue, he said on his Twitter account.
This is despite Kuria and Waititu insisting that the Jubilee coalition will also hold an event at the venue the same day.
" We will hold a peace rally Monday at Uhuru Park. We urge Kenyans to avail themselves, they said Wednesday.
The Saba Saba day rallies have been given a clean bill of health by the government which has said it will provide security despite earlier having reservations over them.
Deputy President William Ruto has said that the rally is constitutionally guaranteed and that they will provide the necessary security to ensure they are peaceful.
" We have urged our brothers in CORD to respect the law on the day. We will provide security to ensure they are peaceful and go on without any hitches, he said.
CORD had insisted that despite the calls by government to stop the rallies, they would go in with them unabated.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!