Why Uhuru fired youth fund boss Bruce Odhiambo
12 April 2016, 22:38
Nairobi - President Uhuru Kenyatta has revoked the appointment of Bruce
Odhiambo as the Chairman of the Youth Enterprise Development Board.
Capital News reported that the President’s Chief of Staff Joseph Kinyua presented the Legal
Notice dated April 8, 2016 to Parliament’s Public Investments Committee
as proof that the government had nullified the appointment.
Also dismissed are seven other board members Stella Bongoko, Paul
Gathura Ng’ang’a, Sabra Omar Hussein, Jane Mutinda, Mike Wamae, Clement
Ayungo and Nichola Mwaniki.
Aldai MP Cornell Serem who chaired the session had earlier led MPs
Kimani Ichung’wah and Olago Aluoch in demanding for clarity on
Odhiambo’s status after it emerged that the acting Fund CEO Immanuel
Odero had last Thursday written to staff dismissing media reports of the
Read also: Kalonzo not leaving CORD, MP says
The Standard also further reported that Kinyua told the House watchdog team which has been probing
the loss of KES 180 million from Fund’s account that the government will
recover the looted cash.
He added that Odhiambo contravened the State Corporation Act by
acting unilaterally to appoint suspended CEO Catherine Namuye as the
sole signatory of the Fund’s bank accounts.
The Head of Public Service told the PIC that the board broke the law
by operating a fixed deposit account amount of KES 400 million at Chase
Bank without approval of the National Treasury.