Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Ruto slams 'fabricated' ICC case, denies intimidation

09 April 2016, 09:29

Nairobi -Deputy president William Ruto on Friday denounced as a fabrication the allegations of crimes against humanity that were brought against him in a case dropped by war crimes judges earlier this week.

And he denied claims that the case had been dropped due to what the International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor referred to as a "relentless campaign" of witness intimidation.

Ruto, 49, and co-accused Joshua arap Sang, 40, had been brought before the ICC on three charges of murder, forcible deportation and persecution relating to a wave of post-election bloodshed which began in 2007.

But the case was thrown out on Tuesday, with the presiding judge referring to a "troubling" pattern of "witness interference" -- charges which Ruto denied.

"The case against me and Joshua Sang collapsed and was terminated, not because of other reason, not because of anything to do with witnesses or politicians," he said in a statement read to the press on Friday.

"The only reason why the case collapsed is because we are innocent," he said, insisting that the entire case was a fabrication.

"The allegations that were made against me were criminal acts of evil minds that schemed collided, colluded and fabricated a case against us."

He also insisted he know of no-one -- "nobody, or group of people, or network of individuals who planned violence against anyone".

Prosecutors say more than 1,300 people died and some 600,000 others were left homeless in Kenya's worst wave of violence since independence from Britain in 1963.

The ICC authorised a probe in 2010 to investigate the violence in a case keenly watched in Kenya, which has led a high-profile campaign against the court, accusing it of bias against the continent.

The collapse of the case means that no-one has been successfully prosecuted by the court for the bloodshed which claimed hundreds of lives after disputed 2007 Kenyan elections.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will name those sabotaging DP R...

A Jubilee Party Governor says that he will name and shame those within Jubilee he says are undermining DP William Ruto's 2022 State House plans. Read more...

ODM official acquitted of defilem...

A Nakuru ODM official on Thursday broke into tears after the court acquitted him of defilement charges leveled against him by his 15-year-old cousin. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...