Revealed: Top rape hotspots in Nairobi
14 April 2016, 14:54
Nairobi - A new report by Medecins San Frontieres (MSF) reveals that 2,421 rape cases were reported in Nairobi last year.
The report also revealed the top 12 rape hotspots in the city, with slum areas being the most notorious spots for gender and sex violence.
According to Standard Digital, 92.3 per cent of the rape victims were women while the remaining 7.7 per cent were men.
About 15 per cent of the victims reported previous assault.
Read Also: Sex for marks at Makerere University
This is the full list of the rape hotspots according to Nairobi News:
1. Kasarani – Githurai, Roysambu, Kahawa, West, Maruirui, Santon, Mwiki, USIU, and Kenyatta University
2. Kayole – Soweto, Donholm, Umoja, Jacaranda, Saika and Komarock
3. Eastleigh – Biafra, Kiambio, Jam Street, Pumwani, Majengo and California
4. Mathare – all sections
5. Dandora – Phase one to four, Kitari, Marigo and Molem
6. Kariobangi – Korogocho, Glucola, Kasabuni and Ngomongo
7. Mukuru – Kwa Njenga, Kayaba, Sinai, Lunga Lunga, Reuben, Industrial Area, Kingstone, Paradise, Fuata Nyayo, Marigoini, Hazina and South B
8. Central Business District (CBD) – Muthurwa, Country Bus, Pangani, Ngara, Parklands, Westlands and Kamukunji
9. Embakasi – Tassia, Utawala, Mihango, and Pipeline
10. Huruma – Kiamaiko, Ngei, Flats, Shanties, Round about, and Huruma Corner
11. Njiru – Ruai, Kariobangi South, Kamulu and Joska
12. Makadara – Nyayo, Mbotela, Maringo, Jericho, Harambee, and Buruburu
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!