Police probe 3 Al-Shabaab suspects over murders in Lamu
17 February 2016, 07:59
Lamu - Security officers said Tuesday they were interrogating three Al-Shabaab suspects over last month's attack in Lamu where two people were killed and houses torched.
The suspects Jamaa Ahmed Mohamed Alias J, Mohammed Halil Hassan and Ahmed Hilobe Alie from Somalia, allegedly attacked Kaisari village in Pandanguo and killed the two locals before setting a blaze their houses.
Several people were also injured during the raid. The three were arrested within Mpeketoni area and transferred to Mombasa court under heavy security officers on Tuesday.
Deputy Director of Public Prosecution Alexander Muteti said the suspects were directly linked to the attack and will stand trial for murder.
He requested the Mombasa Court to detain the three in a prison station until next week Thursday.
"For security reasons we request the suspects be detained at Shimo la Tewa prison because of the nature of the offense of terrorism they are facing," said Muteti.
Read Also: Confusion over compensation of families of slain KDF soldiers
They were arraigned before Mombasa High Court judge Justice Dora Chepkwony who granted the prosecution time to detain the accused before they are officially charged.
Chepkwony ordered the two to undergo a psychiatric assessment and be assigned lawyer before they can be allowed to stand trial.
It is in the same Kaisari Village where nine men were beheaded when Al-Shabaab militants staged an attack on July 16, 2014 just a day after over 60 other people were massacred by militants in Mpeketoni.
Security has since been setup to deter attacks perpetrated by suspected Al-Shabaab militants.
Kenya military has claimed that the attacks in Lamu are being executed by Al-Shabaab working with local militias. The military sources said the militants were recruited and trained within the vast Boni forest.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!