Man charged for sharing photos of dead KDF soldiers on Whatsapp
19 January 2016, 20:28
Nairobi - A man has been charged in a Nairobi Court for sharing pictures of slain Kenya Defence Forces KDF soldiers on Whatsapp.
Capital News reports that the man was arraigned before the court on the charges of sharing indecent photographs in a public forum and threatening to disturb peace in the country.
The man, named by Police as Eddy Reuben Illah was brought before the Kiambu Magistrates court Tuesday and charged with the offence.
His arrest came just a few days after the government ordered Kenyans not to share pictures of the slain officers on any social media platform.
" On January 16 using a registered mobile distributed under WhatsApp
group account namely ‘A young peoples union’ pictures of allegedly dead
Kenya Defence Force officers, who were said to have been attacked and
killed at El-Adde, Somalia knowing them to be grossly incitive and
likely to cause fear and alarm to the general public,” Illah's charge sheet read.
Read also: There were between 40-70 Shabaab attackers, KDF officer says
Illah, as reported by ABC News, did not plead guilty to the charge and was remanded in a Nairobi Police Station until a bail hearing is heard.
Reports indicate that as many as 60 Kenyan soldiers might have died in the attack in Somalia which took place last week Friday.
Recovery efforts of both the bodies of the deceased as well as those missing are ongoing.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!