Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Kenyatta condemns terror attack in France

16 July 2016, 20:03

Nairobi - Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta on Friday condemned terror attack which took place on Thursday night in Nice, France, killing at least 84 people.

Kenyatta said in a statement issued in Nairobi that Kenya will do everything to defend the course of democracy by defeating terrorism which has brought hatred and division between peoples.

"The thoughts and prayers of Kenyans go out to all the victims of last night's attacks in Nice, to their loved ones, and to France. May they find the strength to bear this loss," Kenyatta said.

A truck drove into a crowd at Bastille Day ceremonies late Thursday in Nice, France, killing dozens of people.

Reports said at least 10 children are among the dead following the "cowardly and barbaric" atrocity that left at least one British national among the many injured. Officials fear the death toll will rise.

Victims had been watching fireworks on the beach and were walking down a promenade, either back home or to their cars.

Kenyatta said increased terror attacks appear to have been motivated by the same evil ideology that has inspired equally vile attacks in Kenya.

"As a friend and ally of France, and as a nation that has suffered the same evil that was visited on France yesterday (Thursday), Kenya stands ready to support France in this time of sorrow and grief," he said.

"Together, we will do everything we can to defend the cause of democracy, and to defeat the terrorism that brings nothing but hatred and division between peoples."

French President Francois Hollande said the country's state of emergency which was set to end on July 26 will be extended by three months after the attack in Nice.

- Xinhua


Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
President renews calls for nation...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has called on Kenyans to instead focus on unity, cohesion and prosperity as the country approaches the campaigns period. Read more...