Families of Kyanguli school fire victims land KES 40M compensation
03 March 2016, 22:26
Nairobi - The government has been ordered to pay KES 40 million to families of 63
Kyanguli Mixed Secondary School students who burnt to death 15 years
Each family was awarded KES 650,000 as compensation.
The Star reported that in
a landmark judgment, Justice Joseph Sergon found the government, the
school’s headmaster David Mutiso and deputy Stephen Kasyoka liable for
the incident that occurred on March 26, 2001.
"It was clear
from the evidence adduced in court that there were previous arson
attempts which the school's head knew about," Sergon said.
"They should have put appropriate measures to prevent unrest and the painful death of the young Kenyans."
Read also: Uhuru, Ruto in secret Mudavadi talks
The court, as reported by Capital News said the administration of the school located in Machakos county, could
have sent the student home as they looked for a solution.
The judge said the government cannot escape blame since it had failed to have guidelines for safety in public schools.
said the incident would not have occurred had the government been keen,
as the head-teacher would not have been allowed to keep the students at
Events showed that on the day of the fire, leaflets had earlier been distributed asking students to boycott assembly.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!