Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Witness protection at heart of ICC's Kenya trial woes

08 October 2014, 22:57

The Hague - The International Criminal Court's prosecution of Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta has stumbled mainly on the vulnerability of witnesses, allegedly bribed, intimidated or exposed as liars.

The office of ICC prosecutor Fatou Bensouda has repeatedly said that witnesses were being intimidated in Kenyatta's case, as well as that of his deputy, William Ruto, whose trial finally began in September 2013.

Both men are charged with crimes against humanity for their alleged role in masterminding post-election violence in 2007 and 2008 that left 1,200 people dead and 600,000 displaced. They deny the charges.

Already in February 2013, the prosecution admitted it was dealing with "the unique security challenges and unprecedented level of witness interference in this case".

Also read: Kenyatta becomes first president to appear before ICC

The defence has rejected the accusations.

When former foes Kenyatta, the son of Kenya's first president and independence hero Jomo Kenyatta, and Ruto won their mandates as allies in an election in March last year, the pressure increased and the delays multiplied.

On March 11, Bensouda said she was dropping charges against top civil servant Francis Muthaura, a first since the ICC was set up in 2002.

She said that a key witness had withdrawn, other witnesses had died and that Kenyan authorities were not cooperating.

At least seven witnesses have withdrawn in the Kenyatta case alone since the beginning of 2013, according to the International Justice Monitor. A third of the witnesses in Ruto's case have also dropped out, said a judicial source who asked not to be named.

Some refused to testify citing concerns for their safety. Others withdrew their testimony, sometimes turning it against the prosecutor, accused of encouraging them to make false statements.

- Witness identified -

In May 2013, Bensouda informed judges of "reports received from prosecution witnesses that they have been targeted by (Kenyan government) officials seeking to influence their testimony".

In August last year, the ICC issued an arrest warrant against former Kenyan journalist Walter Barasa, suspected of bribing or corrupting witnesses in Ruto's trial, the first such warrant in the court's history.

The identity of witnesses is theoretically secret as they are only identified by numbers. But their identities are told to defence lawyers so that they can prepare for their testimony.

A woman known as "Witness P0536" who testified against Ruto in September 2013, her face pixellated and voice distorted, had her identity revealed by Kenyan media and bloggers.

"Now that a witness has been identified it will be difficult to assure others that they are their family members will be safe," said the Kenyan Human Rights Commission, an independent NGO.

"Witnesses are bound to feel that their family and their extended family may be in danger and might want to withdraw."

Richard Dicker, director of Human Rights Watch's international justice programme, said that if the case against Kenyatta collapses, there will be "imperative" lessons to be learned.

"That entails what is necessary in terms of witness protection in instances when senior government officials are charged and the need to improve this witness protection," he told AFP.

"There is also a need to conduct a deeper, stronger investigation that relies on different sources beyond witness' testimony," including forensics, Dicker said.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...