Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Westgate attackers stole identities: Witness

05 August 2014, 18:30

Nairobi - Witnesses in the trial of four men accused of helping the gunmen behind Kenya's Westgate mall massacre said Tuesday their identities had been falsely used to secure telephones used in planning the attack.

The slow moving trial in Nairobi -- which opened in January -- has heard evidence from people who were at the mall when the gunmen from Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab launched their attack in September 2013, killing at least 67 people.

The suspects -- Hussein Hassan Mustafa, Mohammed Ahmed Abdi, Liban Abdullah Omar and Adan Mohammed Abdikadir -- are not accused of carrying out the attack, but of providing support to the terrorists.

All four appeared in court Tuesday, handcuffed together but apparently in good health, smiling and chatting to each other in Somali, according to an AFP reporter in court.

They are charged with conspiracy to commit a terrorist attack, being members of a terrorist group and possession of material linked to the terrorism offence.

A police officer and a female musician told the court their national identification cards had been used to falsely register mobile telephone numbers.

"I'm shocked, and I wonder how that could have happened," said Rose Mukere, a gospel singer.

The gunmen, who police have said numbered just four, were seen on security camera footage talking on the telephone as they moved through the upmarket mall, shooting shoppers and hurling grenades.

During the four-day siege the Shebab boasted of being in constant contact with the gunmen, providing running updates via Twitter.

More than 35 witnesses have so far appeared at the trial, with at least 15 more expected to give evidence, prosecuting lawyers said.

Somalia's Shebab, who said the gunmen came from a special suicide commando brigade, said the attack was a warning to Kenya to pull its troops out of southern Somalia, where they are fighting the extremists as part of an African Union force.

Like the attackers, the four on trial are all ethnic Somalis, but it is unclear whether they are Somali or Kenyan citizens.

The next hearing is scheduled for August 20.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Deal with corruption or lose in 2...

A Jubilee Party MP says that the unending corruption claims against the government are killing President Uhuru Kenyatta's re-election efforts for 2017. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
MP accuses Raila of making up fal...

An MP has accused CORD leader Raila Odinga of bringing up non existent corruption scandals to hurt the Jubilee government. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave office if you can't handle ...

Leave office if you cannot handle corruption, an MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Give me the chance to unseat Uhur...

Give me the chance to send President Uhuru Kenyatta home, Kalonzo Musyoka tells Kenyans. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Explain your foreign trips since ...

Explain your foreign trips, Musalia Mudavadi tells President Uhuru Kenyatta. Read more...